Welcome to The Real Time Canine, Part Two



Welcome to part two of The Real Time Canine. In this edition, I will describe the daily life of a Border Collie sheepdog prospect. In weekly posts using words and pictures, I will describe what they learn and how they learn it. Each pup imparts knowledge in their own special way, and through them I will give you insight into how I train a Border Collie Sheepdog from beginning to success.

As with Kensmuir Star in the original
Real Time Canine, you will be with us every step of the way as these talented youngsters acquire the confidence, willingness and skills necessary to attain my goal for them to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. I hope you will join us and find useful tips and technique on how to train a sheepdog.


After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success at sheepdog trials at home and abroad, and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website, and my BorderSmith Blog!

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Week Five

 

Budds
 
This week Jed went visiting, learned a new skill, and become an outside dog in every sense of the phrase. We visited his breeder, Llona for a good day of working dogs at her place where he renewed his friendship and got some love. We were out and about quite a bit on our own turf running errands, taking long walks with all the dogs, and expanding Jed's routines to include a typical day for a big dog.
 
Still on the thin side, it has nothing to do with Jed's intake. He is a good eater. I find no evidence of worms, but he goes back to the vet Monday for his third and last worming anyway. A second round of puppy shots was actually do last week, but I ascribe to a different protocol where I wait for a little maturity then give boosters independent of each other as much as the drug companies allow. In other words, I don't give DHLPP, distemper, hepatitis, leptosperosis, parvo and para-influenza, together in one vaccine because I don't believe a puppies immature immune system will tolerate it well, and I don't give lepto at all. We simply don't have any prevalence of it in my area. Jed isn't eligible for his first rabies shot for another month.
 
Five things:
  1. Socialization, socialization, socialization
  2. Quick study
  3. Be vewy quiet
  4. Here, here
  5. One of the boyz
I was talking with a friend who has young pups the same age as Jed. They were explaining that they hadn't gotten out much with their pups, because it is hard to manage 3 at a time, and because 1 or all gets sick in the car. To me, these are not reasons to keep pups in, but, by all means, to get them out! Socialization, with high expectations for good manners, together with consistent application of training and correction as needed is the single best way I know of to raise a great dog. If I had more than 1 pup, I might just take one at a time with me, but they would all get a go. As far as car-sickness, there's only one way through that, and it is in the car. You might have to clean up a few times, but it will pass every time. I promise. Jed goes with me whenever I can take him. To the feed store, to the big field when I train, errands of all kinds. He has a small crate in the back seat of my truck into which he goes happily on my "kennel", and for the most part, he rides contentedly. Anyone can pet him. I harbor no illusions that allowing others to interact with my dog will harm him in any way. Through others, he can learn to engage, be responsive, and that the world is a great place to be. He can also learn to well-behave, because I enforce my same rules of comportment regardless whether it's me or a stranger. I'm not afraid to say to others; "push him down if he jumps up on you," because consistency is king, and if he ever showed aggression of any kind, regardless of the excuse, I would give an immediate and undeniable correction.
 
I don't necessarily make things easy for Jed because he is a baby. I let him figure out as many things as he can on his own. His physical size dictates my intervention occasionally, but other than that, I encourage him to do for himself at every opportunity. I was loading dogs in the dog box on my truck bed, and I use a ramp down from the tailgate to help Price, because he is old, and Star, because he hasn't found sufficient mettle to propel himself up on his own. Except for the Min Pin, Dexter, I have never before had a youngster run up the ramp on his own. I have had to show every Border Collie I've had since acquiring the ramp, how to use it. That is until Jed. While loading my big dogs into the dog box, I heard scratching behind me, and looked to find Jed half-way up the ramp. Clever pup, and isn't that always great to see?
 
 

You can't have too many people who love you
 
Did I mention that I don't allow any noise from my dogs? Does that seem harsh? Well, it's not the way I do it. Instead of trying to eliminate barking once it becomes ingrained, I simply never let my dogs start that extremely bad habit. And I promise, if you do not quell it before it begins, you will never, ever rid yourself of the abhorrent nuisance completely, and you will have no one to blame but yourself. Jed leans toward the vocal, and his preference is to a particularly nasty yap. Each and every single time I hear him, I speak to him in a manner that matches his intention. In other words, the intensity of my correction matches the excitement of his barking, but I am always calm when I speak to him. I don't react to his noise, I simply correct it. I may just use my voice, or I may tap his crate or kennel, but there will be a consequence each and every time I hear from him and it's working already. He now knows why, when he receives an "aahhh" from me, and quiets completely most of the time.
 
Little Jedi is a very engaging youngster. He likes the attention, and he loves to play. Have you ever heard the Thoreau quote; "when a dog runs at you, whistle for him?" That is exactly what I do with Jed. I use his natural joyfulness to teach him to come when called. When we are together, often times, I will say his name and cause him to look at me. Usually that is followed by him starting towards me at a happy run. At that point, in my happiest voice, I repeat "here, here...here, here." In that way I am not only using his own momentum to teach him to come to me, but I am laying ground work for things like teaching the shed in the process. It all becomes very easy when you use a dog's own initiative to teach them.
 
For the first 2 weeks or so, Jed was a house baby. He learned my ways, the sound of my voice, and what it feels like to be around me. Even though he is still pretty little, it's time to learn what it's like to be a big dog, and so he is out with the big dogs in the dog yard most of the time now. I know my dogs won't hurt him. I have raised enough pups, and trust my dogs' training and temperament enough to know that with certainty. If you do not have the same confidence in your dogs, please do not try this at home. I have seen more than a few youngsters belonging to others that were damaged permanently by older dogs showing aggression towards them. One lost an eye, and another received a broken jaw. Because I am the undisputed ruler, my dog yard is a peaceable kingdom, and it is a great place for Jed to learn to become a great dog. He is learning those all too important dog lessons that I could never teach him, and he is learning from the masters. So too will he learn bad habits if my dogs had them to teach, and that is why I am thoroughly consistent. If you do not want your pup to learns bad habits, do not leave him around a dog or dogs that have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment