Welcome to The Real Time Canine, Part Two



Welcome to part two of The Real Time Canine. In this edition, I will describe the daily life of a Border Collie sheepdog prospect. In weekly posts using words and pictures, I will describe what they learn and how they learn it. Each pup imparts knowledge in their own special way, and through them I will give you insight into how I train a Border Collie Sheepdog from beginning to success.

As with Kensmuir Star in the original
Real Time Canine, you will be with us every step of the way as these talented youngsters acquire the confidence, willingness and skills necessary to attain my goal for them to become a useful working sheepdog and successful trial competitor. I hope you will join us and find useful tips and technique on how to train a sheepdog.


After a lifetime with animals, dogs, horses and livestock, I am happy to share my expertise with you. I have found success at sheepdog trials at home and abroad, and have trained dogs that went on to find success with others. To learn more about me and my dogs, please visit my BorderSmith website, and my BorderSmith Blog!

Monday, January 9, 2012

The Big Field

Hey, you gotta crack out sometime, right? So, in the spirit of cracking out, I threw Tam out with some sheep in the big field, and watched him go. And, boy did he go. He flanked in big loopy circles, he wore sheep to me in big loopy half circles, he went ass over tea kettle when he put a foot wrong in the tall grass. Other than that, he just learned, learned, learned

How'd I do, huh? How'd I do?
I looped a string around his neck so he wouldn't take off and chase my sheep. He got away from me when I let it go, and made an effort to flank around them. But when the sheep started to run from him, the chase ensued. Tam is a pretty good listener, so as he ran, I growled, and he eventually came to a stop after the sheep split 3 - 2.

At that point, I could get nearer the sheep and was able to keep him flanking cleanly in wide circles while giving him a whistle, then voice command. I used a steady whistle before asking for a change of direction with my body and my whistle and Tam settled into the work.

After that we went on a walk-about in the hundred acre field where we worked today. The grass is getting tall there. Not too tall to work, but it will be in another week or 2. It will soon be planted to rye grass anyway, but I'm using it to full advantage while I can.

Tam was making fast, sweeping arcs behind me to hold sheep to my feet, tiring himself out in the process. He made the occassional scoot and grab, which always buys him a growl, but I am careful not to scare him, or even intimidate him in any way. Better to have too much dog than not enough, especially at this age. Tam has a pretty good hang and rattle grip, which might do damage if the sheep were not in full wool. I'll have to have that cleaned up by shearing time next April.

I added the beginning of an outrun today, and was only partially successful. In other words, I layed Tam down and backed up with the sheep away from him. At that point I gave him a flank, making sure that it was clean all the way and past balance at the top. A couple times, I sent him from my feet with the sheep 10 yards away, and he accomplished that small gather a time or two. He scattered them once or twice, but it was a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment